In order to help pack as much training into as short a time as possible, participants are asked to read and watch some pre-course materials so that less time has to be spent covering them at the event. That way everyone can spend more time getting hands-on experience in the field instead of sitting in a classroom. Before they arrive, participants should familiarize themselves with the major topics covered in the training course and complete the pre-course quiz:
- Watch the Core Methods demonstration videos hosted on the Landscape Toolbox YouTube channel. Note that plant productivity and vegetation structure with a cover pole aren’t Core Methods and aren’t required viewing before a training.
- Read volume I of the Monitoring Manual for Rangeland, Shrubland and Savanna Ecosystems, to learn the background of what the Core Methods measure, why that matters, and how the data gathered apply to important indicators of ecosystem function in greater monitoring efforts on large scales.
- Introduction to the BLM Assessment, Inventory, and Monitoring (video) and Society for Range Management 2015 Meeting (video, pdf)
- Understand the objectives of local monitoring efforts.
- Familiarize yourself with local plant species and soils.
Core Monitoring Concepts
Optional Soils and Ecological site resources